Two key issues motivate Plastek’s Environmental Policy – the desire to be a responsible, ethical manufacturer within the polymer industry, and the fact that sound environmental management usually can help us meet the partnership criteria of our customers – and can also bring efficiencies from which we and our customers can benefit.
Specific examples of our proactive approach to environmental issues include:
- All the waste at Plastek is sorted and, where possible, recycled.
- We use Packaging Waste Management to meet the UK Packaging Regulations.
- We work to guidelines for the Climate Change Levy which compares energy consumption to production
- We set targets for reduced energy usage and purchase carbon to offset any short fall.
- We have installed energy efficient “zoned” lighting in all High Bay areas. We have automated the control of lighting in all low traffic areas.
- We control the temperature of the fans on our cooling towers and water systems automatically using invertor driven pumps with Closed Loop Automated Control.
- Our compressed air is produced with three compressors that are operated via a Closed Loop Energy Management Programmable Controller. This duties the compressors based on pre-set pressure parameters and the load on the system to avoid energy wastage.
- We run TPM and PPM Maintenance structures to ensure plant is running efficiently at all times.
- When purchasing new equipment and replacement spares we review energy consumption as a key selection criteria.
- We have completed studies with the Carbon Trust and have implemented several recommendations. Energy usage is measured on a weekly basis by zoned meters.